We’ve been in school our whole lives… now it’s time to work.

May 4, 2017 by kcraighead

If you’ve heard people say things like, “I studied biology in college, but now I work as a sales representative,” it might have made you a little bit nervous about the major your studying or the job you’re hoping on getting once you graduate. How many people go to college for art and come out as college admission counselors? How many journalism students end up working as english writing tutors, or mangers at Chase Bank? What was the point of college in the first place?

I am a journalism and creative writing major, and I really don’t want to end up working at Chipotle after I graduate, or end up as a marketing agent in my long-term career. I want to make a living based on what college taught me to do, in what I love doing. The first step to landing the job you want in the field you want is all about building your resume for what you want, and then editing it here and there for each individual position.

As a senior, I was beginning to panic. I have one more semester to go and I would like to go straight into a job right out of college. But as I sent out my resume, stacked with experience that ULV gave me, all I seemed to be getting in return were rejection emails. Then I applied for a job with Inland Empire Magazine and got the email back asking when I could come in for an interview.

As of right now I am up for interview number 2 and I couldn’t be more nervous and excited. Even if I don’t end up landing the job, ULV gave me the resume that got me noticed and gave me the confidence to perform well in my first interview.

There is no better feeling than feeling qualified for a career that you’ve been studying for, for 4 years. Often times college students will sell themselves short, especially when a job asks for 5 – 7 years of experience. How am I supposed to have 7 years of experience when I have been in college for 4 years getting the degree that you also require!? So when you’re applying for jobs, don’t feel under qualified. Feel confident. This is the moment you’ve been working so hard to get. Make it count.

The Inland Empire Magazine, regardless of how much it pays, is a great opportunity to work in my field and gain experience that also be added to my resume for future jobs that may come along. For now, I am just very excited. I am feeling blessed to have been given this opportunity and I am looking forward to what will happen. Don’t let the stories of post-college life discourage you from applying and working hard to get the job YOU want for yourself and for your future.